4.29.2010

winter in april






This is the newest collage for my monthly series. It's called Royal Perch and will be for December. I had colors coming together that were feeling wintery- the brighter, lighter, early winter colors of December rather than the dark, sometimes bleak and cruel tones of later January and February. (Wow- now that I say that, I realize my challenge for those months will be to combat some pretty strong negatives!)

At any rate, I was brainstorming about December and remembered taking a little drive along a wooded road with my son, and finding an amazing owl perched on a post- just blending into the beautiful snowy landscape not more than 5 yards from our car. We stopped and watched it for a good 15 minutes. It was so still and quiet, staring right back at us looking completely regal. So here's this quiet owl in his wintery environs.

Happily, since he ended up in a golden halo of sorts (it's hard to see in the photo, but I used gold leaf around him), I realized I finished him just in time for Cathy Nichols' Golden themed Found Art Friday for April. I wasn't sure I'd have anything for this month, so am doubly pleased. Hop over to her site to see what else people submitted.

And this brings us to the end of April...can you believe it? Thanks for stopping...come back next week:  I'll post another piece that I just finished.  I'm also taking a book-making class, so I'll show you what I've been learning. But after that I'll be elbow deep in fresh dirt, worm castings and heirloom seeds for a while. My very first ever big, family garden!

4 comments:

Gloria Freshley Art and Design said...

Hi Megan,

I found your blog through Cathy Nicol's blog. I've visited your flickr site, too. Really love your collages and will spend more time studying them. Have a great day! Gloria

annamaria potamiti said...

Hi Megan, thank you for your kind words on my blog-
Lovely collage work and I love the way you explain your thinking process-
Annamaria :)

MagicMarkingsArt said...

It's hard to think about winter now that spring is really in full bloom here. But you have captured the essence of the winter at it's finest. Lovely work.
Thank you for your visit!

Megan Woodard Johnson said...

:) I agree that it is strange to be thinking of winter right now- we're so happy it's finally spring here, I have no idea where that piece came from! I still have January, October & November to complete for my series of collages for each month...I think those seasons are going to be tough to dredge up.